Amanda loved her primary care doctor, but when he started making strange demands of her, she wondered if perhaps it was time to let go of this relationship. In this episode, Leslie reveals the 3 signs it’s time to fire your primary care physician. And in a future episode, he’ll share his 3-step process to finding the best doctor for you!
Leslie's Bottom Line
Just to briefly summarize, the 3 signs are:
- You've experienced a preventable medical error
- You can’t get timely access to your physician
- Your physician doesn’t treat you in the respectful way that you deserve
My bottom line is that you need to feel comfortable with your doctor. If something deep down is telling you that this relationship isn’t balanced—trust your gut. Do something about it. But give your physician the courtesy of a conversation. Explain your concerns. Give him the opportunity to repair the relationship. And if you get a negative response, then this isn’t the right physician for you. Better to know that now, while you’re well, then when you’re sick and discover he’s not there for you the way you need.
- 7 Must-Ask Questions for Your Next Primary Care Visit
- How to Build a Strong Relationship with Your Primary Care Doctor
- Archive clip: Elaine May & Mike Nichols, “Calling Dr. Marx”
- Music is from PremiumBeat
The No-Mistake Zone with Leslie Michelson is produced by Lisa Sweetingham
Post-Production is by Shelli Gonshorowski
What health stories and topics do you want to hear about on The No-Mistake Zone? Let us know at Leslie's Facebook page or in the Comments below.
If you like The No-Mistake Zone, please subscribe and spread the word!